PHD. IN ENGINEERING – INDUSTRY AND ORGANIZATIONS
- Education level: PhD.
- Type of Curriculum: Research
- Academic Program: PhD. in Engineering - Industry and Organizations
- Title granted: PhD. in Engineering
- SNIES code: 55182
- Creation year: 2010
- Opening year: 2010
- Campus: Bogotá
- Faculty: Engineering
- Estimated duration: 8 semesters
- Total credits: 135
The costs of postgraduate courses at the Universidad Nacional de Colombia are calculated by points. Each point is equivalent to one day of the Legal Minimum Wage in Force. The specialization has 240 points.
Download Program overview
Professionals with vocation of researchers in areas related to the lines of research of the Doctorate.
Doctoral candidates must show interest and experience in research; be attached to research groups and be committed to their academic work in accordance with the autonomy and discipline required by this type of university work.
The applicant must have full-time availability to devote himself to the study of the Doctorate.
The most important features of the PhD graduate are:
- Participate in the construction of academic communities in the area of Industrial Engineering.
- Analyze engineering problems in order to generate solutions through models using statistical, computational and simulation mathematical tools.
- To study and evaluate information, knowledge management, technology and innovation systems from a comprehensive and interdisciplinary perspective to promote technological development.
- Design and propose theories, techniques and applications for the continuous improvement of effectiveness, efficiency and quality in industry and companies.
The general learning outcome of the program is as follows:
To educate researchers with skills to propose, direct and carry out research autonomously, produce original knowledge and participate in the construction of academic communities in the area of industrial engineering.
Academic Activities and Subjects
Total Academic Activities
Total Research Credits
"The master’s student who wishes to make use of the transition to the doctorate is recommended to read article 18 of Decision 035 of 2014 of the Academic Vice-Rector Academic" "
SUBJECTS AND COURSES
RESEARCH SEMINAR I
DOCTORAL THESIS PROJECT
SECTORAL POLICY AND NEGOTIATION IN TELECOMMUNICATIONS
LOGISTICS APPLIED TO INVENTORIES AND STORAGE
RESEARCH SEMINAR II
INTRODUCTION TO DATA SCIENCE AND DATA VISUALIZATION
ADVANCED TOPICS IN SOFTWARE ENGINEERING I
INTERNET OF THINGS
RESEARCH AND MARKET MANAGEMENT
ENTERPRISE AND ENVIRONMENT
Courses are offered every semester. *
*For the full list of courses offered, please refer to https://siabog.unal.edu.co/buscador
- Optimization and statistical methods and models in industrial and administrative engineering.
- Systems and management of technology, information, knowledge and technological innovation in industry and organizations.
- Production, productivity, eco-competitiveness and quality
- Engineering education
Algoritmos y Combinatoria ALGOS
Colectivo de Investigación en Ingeniería de Software COLSWE
Grupo de Investigación en Minería de Datos MIDAS
Grupo de Investigación en Vida Artificial ALIFE
Grupo Interdisciplinario de Investigación y Desarrollo en Gestión, Productividad y Competitividad BIOGESTION
Grupo Investigación en Gestión y Organizaciones GRIEGO
Grupo de Investigación en Sistemas y Tecnologías de la Información y de la Comunicación en las Organizaciones GISTIC
Laboratorio de Investigación en Sistemas Inteligentes LISI
PLaS – Programming Languages and Systems
Productividad, Competitividad y Calidad
Sociedad, Economía y Productividad SEPRO
- Álvaro Zerda Sarmiento - Web, Hermes, CvLAC
- Beatriz Helena Díaz Pinzón - Hermes, CvLAC
- Carlos Alberto Rodríguez Romero - Hermes, CvLAC
- Carlos Eduardo Alonso Malaver - Hermes, CvLAC
- Carlos Eduardo Moreno Mantilla - Hermes, CvLAC
- Diego Fernando Hernández Losada - Hermes, CvLAC
- Dolly Montoya Castaño - Hermes, CvLAC
- Edison Jair Duque Oliva - Hermes, CvLAC
- Fabio Augusto González Osorio - Hermes, CvLAC
- Félix Antonio Cortés Aldana - Hermes, CvLAC
- Germán Enrique Nova Caldas - Hermes, CvLAC
- Germán Jairo Hernández Pérez - Hermes, CvLAC
- Héctor Cifuentes Aya - Hermes, CvLAC
- Hernando Díaz Morales - Hermes, CvLAC
- Iván Alonso Montoya Restrepo - Hermes, CvLAC
- Jenny Marcela Sánchez Torres - Web, Hermes, CvLAC
- José Ismael Peña Reyes - Hermes, CvLAC
- Luz Alexandra Montoya Restrepo - Hermes, CvLAC
- Luz Dinora Vera Acevedo - Hermes, CvLAC
- Maria Amparo Lozada - Hermes, CvLAC
- Olga Matilde Restrepo Forero - Hermes, CvLAC
- Oscar Fernando Castellanos Domínguez - Hermes, CvLAC
- William Ariel Sarache - Hermes, CvLAC
- Wilson Ardame Jaimes - Hermes, CvLAC
Below you can consult the list of theses and final works prepared by PhD students from the Department of Computer Systems and Industrial Engineering, which are in the institutional repository UN - bdigital:CONSULT REPOSITORY
PhD. in Engineering – Industry and Organizations
NON-MASS ADMISSION PROCESS
- If you have completed undergraduate studies at the National University of Colombia, you still have credits and are interested in obtaining the benefit to pursue postgraduate studies at the university, access this link for more information http://www.legal.unal.edu.co/rlunal/home/doc.jsp?d_i=36926
If you are a foreign student, click on the link for more information Aspirantes Extranjeros. We clarified that the certificates of admission / acceptance letters (if required) are issued only to applicants selected by the National University in the admissions process established.
- Pay the registration fees from 28 September to Friday 30 October 2020 until 17:00
- Register via the Internet from 28 September to Friday 30 October 2020 until 17:00
- Reception of digital documents on the platform: Fill in the web application to upload the applicant's CV and media from 3 November to 6 November 2020 until 5pm. On 2 November, the information for accessing the web platform will be sent to the email address with which the applicant registered in the admissions system. See recommendations below.
- Deadline for submission of an argumentative essay: 6 November 2020 until 17:00. The guidelines for the submission of the essay will be sent to the email address with which you formalized your registration in the admissions system
- Publication of summons to final examinations: 13 November 2020. Notification will be sent to the email address with which you formalized your registration in the admissions system as to whether or not the applicant will continue in the process.
- Application of the final tests (INTERVIEW): from 17 to 20 November The interviews will be carried out by videoconference through the platformGoogle Meet.The access information to the platform will be sent to the e-mail with which you formalized the registration in the admission system
- Publication of final admission results: 27 November 2020.
Documents marked with (*) are optional. However, these supports give points within the rating of the resume, it is recommended to attach them in case of having them.
a) CURRICULUM VITAE
- Identification document.
- Professional card*
- Support for university studies:
- Degree Certificate
- Transcript of grades.
- Document legalized by apostille or diplomatic delegation (in the case of certificates obtained abroad)
- Certificate of completion of studies issued by the institution where he/she studied (for students who do not yet have an undergraduate degree)
- Academic History Report (for undergraduate students of the National University of Colombia with choice of graduate degree)
- Academic Honors*:
- Name of the distinction, institution that grants, date on which it was granted (please attach the supporting documentation).
- Professional Experience*:
- Name of the institution or company, type of relationship, start and end date (or in progress), position, main function and attach support of it.
- Experience as a Professor*:
- Name of the institution, dedication of the company, start and end date (or in progress), areas of work, information of subjects taught and intention of hours per week and attach support.
- Research Experience*:
- Name of the research project, institution, project area, funding entity, main functions, start date of linkage and completion (or ongoing), country and attach support.
- Intellectual Production*:
- Type of production (article in indexed journal, book, book chapter, patent, software, pilot plant, industrial design, other production), production data and attach support.
- Certifications of Language Proficiency*:
- English is not required as a requirement in the admission process, however, attach support if you have it.
- Academic or professional references*:
- The website will ask you for the basic contact details of two people who will register 2 academic or professional references according to the profile to which you aspire (academic references apply to the research profile, whereas academic or professional references apply to the deepening profile). The information provided by the persons you indicate is confidential and will be known only to the program directives during the admission evaluation process.
b) ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION
- Funding: Describe what the type of financing will be.
- Pre-proposal with the topic or idea to raise and develop during the program of choice. It should include background, justification, objectives, definition of the research problem, methodology, approximate timeline and budget, and bibliography. This proposal must also have the endorsement of a professor from the Faculty of Engineering of the National University of Colombia (In PDF format). Having an endorsement, implies that the teacher read, review and sign your pre-proposal of research before uploading it to the application of loading of documents of the Faculty.
NOTE: Those people who enter by early admission or automatic admission (Universidad Nacional de Colombia) must apply for the sending of documents in order to register their resume in the program.
SUBMISSION OF DOCUMENTATION
The reception of documents will be carried out by filling out a web application, in which the supports and documents mentioned in the previous section will be loaded. Each applicant will receive an email from the Academic Vice-Deanship of the Faculty with the corresponding web and instructional link.
The Faculty of Engineering of the National University of Colombia, is not responsible in case the applicant cannot enter his data and documents satisfactorily through the web application, due to the demand of simultaneous users exceeding the capacity of the system. it is recommended to advance the process before the closing date
PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THE FOLLOWING RECOMMENDATIONS:
- Advance the document loading process prior to the closing date.
- Verify that you have all required documents, each in PDF format (only) and that it does not exceed the size of 10MB.
- Allow sufficient time to load the documents. Loading of documents can be done in parts, closing each time you finish loading each part of the requested documentation.
- The documents related to a (*) are optional, the others are mandatory. However, these supports give points within the qualification of the resume, it is recommended to attach them in case of having them.
- To make changes to documents you have previously loaded, you must load the new document and save the changes. The new document will replace the previously loaded one.
- The application using a set of choices indicates the number of records loaded in each section and points in red to the section in which there are no loaded supports.
- Previously contact the people you will relate to as references, and make sure that you enter the recommendations within the set deadline.
- After loading the entire documentation, it will be enough to log out to save it. This information will be stored and sent automatically to the evaluators after application closure.
INDICATIONS FOR SUBMITTING THE INITIAL TEST:
The initial test will be conducted by submitting a self-authored argumentative essay (in English).
The candidate may choose one of the following topics:
- Topic 1: Challenges and opportunities for Industrial Engineering in times of pandemic.
- Topic 2: Women in science and engineering.
- Topic 3: Challenges and opportunities for real industrial development in Colombia.
The essay should be a maximum of two (2) pages (Arial 11 font). If required, up to one additional page can be added, exclusively to include bibliographical references.
The document must be submitted in PDF format (It must not be an image). The file should be named as follows: Essay_CC_ID_number_aspirant_identification.pdf
The essay should be submitted with the Subject:
Admissions - DIndustry_CCApplicant_identification_number, to the email firstname.lastname@example.org, until 3 November 2020 at 23:59 hours.
INDICATIONS FOR THE ORAL PRESENTATION AND THE INTERVIEW
The oral presentation will take place on the same day as the interview. The applicant must give an oral presentation which must be based on the tentative research topic.
Language for the presentation: English (spoken and written).
Time: You will have 20 minutes for the presentation.
Language of presentation: English (spoken and written).
Minimum content of the presentation:
- Relationship between the proposal and the context of industrial engineering, industries and organisations.
- When necessary, the theoretical concepts that you think should be clarified and included.
- Explain the problem to be solved, how it is reached and why this work is justified in terms of the expected results.
- Justify it in social, economic and technical terms; in terms of possible impacts generated in these areas.
- Indicate theoretical references that have addressed similar issues and show how the gap in knowledge has been established, which your research will seek to fill.
- Briefly explain the research design that you will establish for the development of the project and justify it.
- Indicate what you consider to be the obstacles that may arise in the development of your project and subsequent thesis. What variables do you think they will affect.
The interview will take place after completion of the oral presentation.
Language for the interview: English/Spanish
Time: 20 minutes
The regulations governing the admission process for postgraduate programmes of the National University of Colombia are contained in Decision 035 of 2014 of the Academic Vice-rectory, specifically the Faculty of Engineering details some aspects by Agreement 028 of 2016 of the Faculty of Engineering Council, the weighting of its components is as shown below:
Minimum approval score
3.0 over 5.0
CV Assessment criteria
The following items in the CV assessment will be taken into account:
- Affinity of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees with the profile of the doctoral programme.
- Professional experience (including experience as professor).
- Experience in research.
- Previous academic performance.
- Academic references.
- Academic distinctions.
- Intellectual production.
- Language Proficiency
Exams Assessment Criteria
Evaluation of the pre-proposal:
The pre-proposal document will be evaluated according to the criteria of the evaluation committee appointed by the Doctorate Coordination. The Committee shall be composed of at least three professors, who shall have the autonomy to carry out such an evaluation.
Interview Assessment Criteria
- Commitment to the program, reasons to advance postgraduate studies.
- Availability of time to attend the program.
- Economic sufficiency.
- Ability to work in research groups.
- Communication skills.
- Experience in the line of research or deepening in which he intends to work.
Proficiency of foreign language
Applicants for the Doctoral Programme in Engineering must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language (English). The sufficiency test is eliminatory, the applicant must demonstrate at least a B1 level of English, otherwise he will not be admitted.
At the time of registration via the internet (step 2), the applicant will be asked if he wants to approve the English proficiency test, he can select from the following options:
- Be a graduate of an undergraduate program at the National University of Colombia.
- If you are a graduate of a postgraduate program from the National University of Colombia and obtained a grade equal to or higher than 3.5 in the English exam presented in the admission process.
- Achieve the level of sufficiency required by the University through the test applied by the National Admissions Directorate.
- Present a foreign language certificate with a validity of less than two years. See Homologate proof of knowledge in English. To present the certificate you must deliver the original and current certificate, within the schedule established by the respective call during the registration period, to the National Admissions Directorate (Calle 44 No. 45-67, Bloque B3, Unidad Camilo Torres, Bogotá D.C., from Monday to Friday in continuous working day from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm); or send to the email email@example.com a digital image of the original and current certificate, that is, with a date of submission not later than two years of the test being applied for. The duration of the certificate is counted with respect to the start date of the registration process.
QUALITY AND ACCREDITATION
Current state: In process of self-assessment
Self-assessment starting Date: 2013-02
Creation:Agreement 5 of 2010 Higher University Council
Opening:Agreement 6 of 2010 Academic Council
Curriculum:Agreement 111 of 2016 Academic Council
Research Lines:Decision 101 of 2020 Council Faculty of Engineering- Bogotá Headquarters
Admission Process:Agreement 28 of 2016 Council Faculty of Engineering - Bogotá Headquarters
Transition:Decision 035 of 2014 Academic Vice-Rectory
Contact: Hector Cifuentes Aya
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - email@example.com
Telephone: (+57) (1) 3165000 Ext. 14068
Address: Av. NQS (Carrera 30), 45-03, Campus Ciudad Universitaria, Building 453, Office 213
Curricular area: Computer Systems and Industrial Engineering
Director: Jenny Marcela Sanchez Torres
Telephone: (+57) (1) 3165000 Ext. 14068
Jenny Marcela Sánchez Torres
Av. NQS (Carrera 30), 45-03, Campus Ciudad Universitaria
Building 453 (Aulas de Ingeniería), Office 209 (2nd floor)
Telephone: (+57) (1) 3165000 Ext: 14068