The Agricultural Engineering Program of the National University of Colombia (Bogotá Headquarters), is required in the agricultural sector to improve its competitiveness which is initiated by the Agreement 33 of March 27th 1969 of the HUC (Higher University Council) and shares its mission as a public, state and national university. The program provides students with its curricular structures and strategies to guide them in key areas to solve problems related to the management and conservation of perishable products, from collection to final consumption, as in the structural, thermal and environmental design of infrastructure for the production and conservation of agricultural and livestock products, under criteria of productivity and sustainability. During their training students have the opportunity to participate in cultural, sporting, academic, extension and research activities as well as the possibility to travel to other countries in order to broaden their knowledge, their horizons and stimulate creativity to increase their potential to boost the country’s development.
- Education level:Professional - Undergraduate
- Name of the curricular program: Agricultural Engineering
- Title granted: Agricultural Engineer
- Year of Creation: 1969
- SNIES Code: 24
- SIA Code: 2541
- Total credits: 180
- Estimated duration: 10 semesters
- Type of Study: Full-time
- Curricular area: Civil and Agricultural Engineering
- Faculty: Engineering
- Headquarters: Bogotá
Educational Project of the Program - Agricultural Engineering
The Agricultural Engineer trained in the Agricultural Engineering curriculum of the National University of Colombia, Campus Bogotá, is conceived as a professional with the ability to contribute to the generation of rural and agro-industrial infrastructure (design, design, construction, selection, planning, management and maintenance) for the production of plant and animal raw materials and their processing.
Its fields of intervention and competences, as well as its social justification, are evident in that it shapes its own specific fields of action. It also aims to improve agro-socio-economic conditions by introducing and using engineering widely and effectively in agricultural and agro-industrial production, with the aim of improving adverse characteristics that can occur in nature, such as pests, droughts, inconvenient or extreme temperatures, excess water, energy, power and traction limitations, etc.; as well as facilitate work and increase human production. With a critical vision and commitment to the modernizing model and its articulation with the processes of openness, democratization and decentralization that the country is experiencing; with the ability to identify some components that make possible agricultural livestock and agroindustrial production, eventually improving rural life and the economy in general
The general objective of the program is to guide the planning, management, design, implementation, evaluation and monitoring of engineering projects applied to the agricultural sector, promoting the social and productive development of the rural sectors (agricultural, livestock and agro-industrial).
The program focuses all their efforts and strengths to train Agricultural Engineers with a solid integral formation, allowing them to contribute to the progress of the country, through the development and application of the fundamentals of Engineering, for the manufacturing and conservation of food and raw materials of agricultural origin, under environmental criteria and sustainable management of natural resources.
- Probability and Statistics
- Biology and Chemistry
- Computer tools
- Economic and Administrative tools
- Basic Disciplinary without grouping
- Automation and Control
- Agricultural Machinery and Mechanization
- Irrigation and Agricultural Drainage Engineering
- Rural Constructions
- Post-harvest Agricultural Products
- Interdisciplinary Project Workshop
- Degree Work
Obteniendo datos del Sistema de Información Acádemica SIA
The academic training received by the Agricultural Engineer in his curriculum, allows him to work as a designer, consultant, builder, controller, advisor, managing manager, professor or researcher in the following areas of knowledge:
- Control and Automation in Agricultural Manufacturing: Design tools and support for automatic decision-making based on absolute or relative error.
- Agricultural Machinery and Mechanization: Design, selection, evaluation and administration of machines and implements used in the production and conservation of food and raw materials of agricultural origin.
- Irrigation and Drainage Engineering: Design, assembly, operation and evaluation of agricultural irrigation and drainage systems and soil recovery engineering.
- Post-harvest Engineering of Agricultural Products and Agro-industry: Management and conservation of perishable products from harvesting to final consumption.
- Rural Constructions: Structural, thermal and environmental design of infrastructure for the production and conservation of agricultural and livestock products.
- Economic and Administrative Sciences: Application of different methods and techniques of the constitution and management of companies related to the agricultural sector.
The environmental and sustainable development component is a cross-cutting element to the different training areas of Agricultural Engineering, both for the sake of standardization and for the social responsibility that will assist future professionals in this field.
Curricular Coordinator: Oscar Leonardo García Navarrete
Address: Bogota, 30th Street 45-03, Building 214, Office 206
Telephone: (+57) (1) 6 500 500 Ext: 16602
All information on the accreditation and self-assessment processes of the Civil and Agricultural Engineering Curriculum Area can be found here.