PHD. IN MECHANICAL AND MECHATRONIC ENGINERRING
- Educational level: PhD.
- Type of Curriculum: Research
- Academic Program: PhD. in Engineering - Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering
- Title granted: PhD in Engineering
- SNIES code: 55187
- Creation year: 2010
- Opening year: 2010
- Campus: Bogota D.C
- Faculty: Engineering
- Estimated duration: 8 semesters
- Total credits: 135
Six-monthly fees (detailed down by points):
- Point equivalence: One day of the current statutory minimum monthly wage (CSMMW) 2021 and according to Circular 025 of 2020 - General Secretariat the point equivalence is $30,284 COP
- Current approximate cost of the semester: $7,293,050 COP
The program is offered to professionals in the following branches of engineering and natural sciences: Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Systems Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics.
Graduates of this program will be able to propose, direct and carry out research and development work autonomously, generate original knowledge, apply this knowledge in the solution of real problems and participate in the construction of academic communities in the area of mechanical and mechatronic engineering, all under the standards of professional ethics and the principles of sustainable development.
The specific learning outcome of the curriculum is:
To educate autonomous researchers in mechanical and mechatronic engineering, with the capacity to propose, direct and carry out activities that lead to the generation of knowledge, and capable of applying mathematical models and experimental engineering techniques for the design and construction of mechanical and mechatronic technologies in an efficient and responsible way, from an economic, social and environmental point of view.
Academic Activites and Courses
Total Academic Activities
Total Research Credits
SUBJECTS AND COURSES
Obteniendo datos del Sistema de Información Acádemica SIA
Courses are offered every semester. **For the full list of courses offered, please refer to https://siabog.unal.edu.co/buscador
The timetable for postgraduate courses is usually in the 7:00 to 9:00 and 18:00 to 20:00 bands.
- Design Engineering and applied Biomedics
- Thermal Engineering
- Manufacturing and Materials Engineering
- Production and Materials Engineering
PhD. in Engineering – Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering
Call for proposals 2021-2S
- If you have completed your undergraduate studies at the National University of Colombia, still have credits and are interested in obtaining the benefit to pursue postgraduate studies at the university, access this link for more information. http://www.legal.unal.edu.co/rlunal/home/doc.jsp?d_i=36926
If you are a foreign student, click on the link for more information Aspirantes Extranjeros. We clarified that the certificates of admission / acceptance letters (if required) are issued only to applicants selected by the National University in the admissions process established.
Admission to the doctorate is permanent and is carried out through non-mass admission processes (different from those for undergraduate and master's degrees). The mode of study is face-to-face and full-time.
Dates to keep in mind:
Purchasing of PIN, enrollment and registration to the curricular program.
From 8 March to 4 June 2021
Complete the web application for resumes and applicant support and upload the research proposal.
There will be 2 deadlines according to the date of the English test: 19 April and 14 June. The information to fill in the platform will be sent to the email address used to formalise the registration in the admissions system. You will have 10 calendar days to fill in the platform.
Presentation of the English proficiency test.
30 April and 25 June 2021
Deadline for the presentation of final tests.
11 December 2020.
- Pay registration fees. The cost of admission fees for the year 2021 is COP $302,000, which you can pay at any branch of the Banco Popular or virtual payment at: http://www.pagovirtual.unal.edu.co/index.php.
Applicants outside Colombia must make an electronic payment of US$195. Once the transaction is completed you will find the link "Continue Registration", if this is your wish follow the link and you can formalize your registration. Please note that at the time of registration you are requested the "Transaction Number" and the "Confirmation Number", remember that you must have noted them or have the copy of the voucher that is sent to the email registered at the time of payment. Having these numbers, enter them in the step in which they are requested and continue with the process of formalizing their registration.
- Formalising the registration via Internet Internet. It must be done through the website https://www.uninscripciones.unal.edu.co/sitio/selPeriodo!input.action, in which you must log in to the corresponding process and then select Graduate Enrollment. No more than three days after payment you must register, so that the link to complete the application of resume support (Send payment support to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Complete the application for resumes as agreed with the PhD coordinator.
- Attend the interview. The date of presentation of the interview will be arranged with the coordination of the doctorate.
- Consult the publication of final results. o view the results, please go to page www.admisiones.unal.edu.co, Postgraduate Section, under the Results option, according to the schedule set out in the corresponding call.
The documents marked with (*) are optional. However, these documents are worth points towards the qualification of the curriculum vitae, so it is recommended that you attach them if you have them.
a) CURRICULUM VITAE
- Identification document.
- Professional card
Support for university studies:
- Degree Certificate
- Transcript of grades.
- Document legalized by apostille or diplomatic delegation (in the case of certificates obtained abroad)
- Certificate of completion of studies issued by the institution where he/she studied (for students who do not yet have an undergraduate degree)
- Academic History Report (for undergraduate students of the National University of Colombia with choice of graduate degree)
- Name of the distinction, institution that grants, date on which it was granted (please attach the supporting documentation).
- Name of the institution or company, type of relationship, start and end date (or in progress), position, main function and attach support of it.
Experience as a Professor*:
- Name of the institution, dedication of the company, start and end date (or in progress), areas of work, information of subjects taught and intention of hours per week and attach support.
- Name of the research project, institution, project area, funding entity, main functions, start date of linkage and completion (or ongoing), country and attach support.
- Type of production (article in indexed journal, book, book chapter, patent, software, pilot plant, industrial design, other production), production data and attach support.
Certifications of Language Proficiency*:
- It is a compulsory requirement to demonstrate a level of English B1 or higher. (Please refer to the section below "Language Proficiency").
Academic or professional references*:
- The website will ask you for the basic contact details of two people who will register 2 academic or professional references according to the profile to which you aspire (academic references apply to the research profile, whereas academic or professional references apply to the deepening profile). The information provided by the persons you indicate is confidential and will be known only to the program directives during the admission evaluation process.
b) ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION (Mandatory)
- Motivation letter (maximum one page), stating your interest in pursuing the PhD.
- Pre-proposal of the topic or idea to be developed during the postgraduate course, endorsed by a lecturer from Universidad Nacional de Colombia who will be your tutor.
- Letter from the professor endorsing your application to the doctorate and committing to be the applicant's tutor.
NOTE: Those people who enter by early admission or automatic admission (Universidad Nacional de Colombia) must apply for the sending of documents in order to register their resume in the program.
SUBMISSION OF DOCUMENTATION
The reception of documents will be carried out by filling out a web application, in which the supports and documents mentioned in the previous section will be loaded. Each applicant will receive an email from the Academic Vice-Deanship of the Faculty with the corresponding web and instructional link.
The Faculty of Engineering of the National University of Colombia, is not responsible in case the applicant cannot enter his data and documents satisfactorily through the web application, due to the demand of simultaneous users exceeding the capacity of the system. it is recommended to advance the process before the closing date
PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THE FOLLOWING RECOMMENDATIONS:
- Advance the document loading process prior to the closing date.
- Verify that you have all required documents, each in PDF format (only) and that it does not exceed the size of 10MB.
- Allow sufficient time to load the documents. Loading of documents can be done in parts, closing each time you finish loading each part of the requested documentation.
- The documents related to a (*) are optional, the others are mandatory. However, these supports give points within the qualification of the resume, it is recommended to attach them in case of having them.
- To make changes to documents you have previously loaded, you must load the new document and save the changes. The new document will replace the previously loaded one.
- The application using a set of choices indicates the number of records loaded in each section and points in red to the section in which there are no loaded supports.
- Previously contact the people you will relate to as references, and make sure that you enter the recommendations within the set deadline.
- After loading the entire documentation, it will be enough to log out to save it. This information will be stored and sent automatically to the evaluators after application closure.
The regulations governing the admission process for postgraduate programmes of the National University of Colombia are contained in Decision 035 of 2014 of the Academic Vice-rectory, specifically the Faculty of Engineering details some aspects by Agreement 028 of 2016 of the Faculty of Engineering Council, the weighting of its components is as shown below:
Minimum approval score
3.0 over 5.0
CV Assessment criteria
The following items in the CV assessment will be taken into account:
- Affinity of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees with the profile of the doctoral programme.
- Professional experience.
- Research experience
- Previous academic performance.
- Academic references.
- Academic distinctions.
- Intellectual production.
- Experience as a professor.
Exams Assessment Criteria
For the Doctoral Program the tests consist of the evaluation of the research pre-proposal and the letter of motivation.
- Importance of the proposed research topic.
- Clarity in the research problem.
- Relevance of the methodology.
- Quality of quotes.
Interview Assessment Criteria
- Commitment to the program and reasons to advance postgraduate studies.
- Time availability to attend the program.
- Ability to work in research groups or work teams.
- Communication skills (Argumentation).
- Experience in the research line in which the research project intends to work.
Proficiency of Foreign Language
Applicants for the Doctoral Programme in Engineering must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language (English). The sufficiency test is eliminatory, the applicant must demonstrate at least a B1 level of English, otherwise he will not be admitted.
At the time of registration via the internet (step 2), the applicant will be asked if he wants to approve the English proficiency test, he can select from the following options:
- Be a graduate of an undergraduate program at the National University of Colombia.
- If you are a graduate of a postgraduate program from the National University of Colombia and obtained a grade equal to or higher than 3.5 in the English exam presented in the admission process.
- Achieve the level of sufficiency required by the University through the test applied by the National Admissions Directorate.
- Present a foreign language certificate with a validity of less than two years. See Homologate proof of knowledge in English. To present the certificate you must deliver the original and current certificate, within the schedule established by the respective call during the registration period, to the National Admissions Directorate (Calle 44 No. 45-67, Bloque B3, Unidad Camilo Torres, Bogotá D.C., from Monday to Friday in continuous working day from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm); or send to the email email@example.com a digital image of the original and current certificate, that is, with a date of submission not later than two years of the test being applied for. The duration of the certificate is counted with respect to the start date of the registration process.
Minimum admission mark
The minimum admission mark after weighting all the components of the entrance examination shall be 3.0 out of 5.0.
Coordinator: Flavio Augusto Prieo Ortiz
Address: Av. NQS (Carrera 30), 45-03, Campus Ciudad Universitaria - Building: 453 - Office: 404
Curricular area: Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering.
Director: Aldo Germán Benavides Morán
Telephone: (+57) (1) 3165000 Ext. 13646
QUALITY AND ACCREDITATION
Status: In process of self-assessment
Beginning date: 2011-01