PhD. IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
The chemical industry is an engine for the economic development of every country, since that is where wealth and well-being are created by adding value to the natural resources. Within the globalized reality of today's world, the constant innovation in products and processes is necessary to ensure its permanence in the market, and meet the demands requiered by the different environmental, social, economic and government at the national and international level.
The issue of free trade agreements with several countries and economic communities put the Colombian chemical industry in competition with products, quality, prices, logistics and service. Thus, the Colombian industrialist is progessively aware of the urgent need to innovate in all aspects, which is possible in a more efficient way in partnership with the universities through research and development projects that make the best use of the potentialities of academia and industry.
In this sense, the PhD. Program in Engineering - Chemical Engineering is important for the country, not only because of its importance in the education of high-level personnel, but also because it is strategic to ensure its competitiveness in the global context. With this, the program helps the country to increase its competitiveness in the chemical sector and expand its participation with products and technologies that incorporate the knowledge generated.
- Educational Level: PhD.
- Type of curriculum: Research
- Name of the curricular program: PhD. in Engineering - Chemical Engineering
- Title granted: PhD. in Engineering - Chemical Engineering
- SNIES code: 51676
- Year of creation: 2005
- Opening year: 2005
- Campus: Bogotá
- Faculty: Engineering
- Estimated Duration:8 semesters
- Total credits:135
- Point value: One (1) day of the Current Legal Minimum Monthly Wage (SMMLV) 2018 - (Circular 1 of 2018 - General Secretariat) = $26,041 COP
- Current approximated cost per semester: $6,272,845 COP
Applicants to the program should be qualified, ethical professionals committed to their personal education and professional development, and to the development of the country. They must demonstrate their research capacity or heir preference for this field of professional action, through their participation in research and development projects, the publication of scientific articles and books, the obtaining of patents and academic distinctions, the participation in academic events, their interest in continuing education, or their professional or teaching experience.
The graduates of the program will be autonomous researchers of the highest level, with the ability to propose, direct and carry out research that leads to the generation of new knowledge in the area of Chemical Engineering.
They will know the natural and environmental heritage of the nation and will contribute to its value and protection. They will also have the ability to study and analyze the national problems related to the chemical industry, and then propose, independently, the relevant solutions.
The general objectives of the program are:
- To educate researchers in Engineering, through the integration of candidates into research groups and the completion of an individual thesis work that represents an original scientific or technological contribution.
- To strengthen the research area in Chemical Engineering.
- To educate university professors from all over the country to increase and improve the teaching and research work in the area.
- To allow and encourage interaction between the University and public and private entities for the development of studies and research and for the exchange of experiences in the field of Engineering.
- To induce the creation of a national scientific base, which will serve as a support and launching platform for large national development projects; as well as for the improvement of the quality of teaching in other Universities and for promoting the creation of postgraduate programs in other areas.
The specific educational objectives of the curriculum are:
- To educate autonomous researchers of the highest level, with the ability to propose, direct and carry out research leading to the generation of new knowledge in the area of Chemical Engineering.
- To educate researchers with the ability to formulate and develop research projects that generate high impact solutions to contribute to the progress of the country.
Academic activities and Courses
Total Academic Activities
Total Research Credits
Obteniendo datos del Sistema de Información Acádemica SIA
The offer of courses varies every semester. ** To see the full list of offered courses, please go to https://siabog.unal.edu.co/buscador
The schedules of the postgraduate subjects are usually from 7:00 to 9:00 and from 18:00 to 20:00.
- Catalytic processes
- Polymerization processes
- Biofuels and biorefining
PhD. IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
- If you finished undergraduate studies at the Univesidad Nacional de Colombia, you still have credits and are interested in obtaining the benefit to pursue postgraduate studies at the university, enter this link for more information: http://www.legal.unal.edu.co/rlunal/home/doc.jsp?d_i=36926
If you are a foreign student, click on the link for more information Aspirantes Extranjeros. We clarified that the certificates of admission / acceptance letters (if required) are issued only to applicants selected by the National University in the admissions process established.
- Pay the registration fee from Tuesday, February 12th to Wednesday, April 3rd until 15:00 hours.
- Formalize the registration via Internet from Tuesday, February 12th to Wednesday, April 3rd until 23:59 hours.
- Complete the application for resume and supporting documents from Saturday, April 6th to Thursday, April 25th, 2019 until 16:00 hours.
- Publication of dates and places for initial tests - Friday, April 26th, 2019
- Application of initial tests - Friday, May 10th, 2019
- Publication of initial tests results - Friday, May 31st, 2019.
- Publication of dates and places for final tests From Tuesday, June 4th until Friday, June 7th, 2019
- Application of final tests From Wednesday, June 5th until Friday, June 14th, 2019
- Publication of final tests results - Friday, June 21st, 2019
CURRICULUM VITAE WITH THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS - ALL DOCUMENTATION MUST BE SENT IN PDF FORMAT.
- Identification document.
- University supporting documents.
- Proof of work experience. *
- Evidence of research experience. *
- Proof of teaching experience. *
- Language certifications (See requisite of PROEFICIENCY IN FOREING LANGUAGE)
- Supporting documents of academic distinctions. *
* Attach this information if you have it.
Attached document of pre-proposal including background, justification, objectives, definition of the problem, methodology, schedule, budget and bibliography. It must be endorsed by a professor from the University who will be the tutor (this document constitutes the knowledge test).
The web application will request the basic contact data of two people who will register 2 academic references. The information provided by your contacts will be confidential and will be known only by the directors of the program during the admission evaluation process.
Those people who enter through early or automatic admission (UN) must complete the application and send their documents in order to register their resume in the program.
RECEPTION OF DOCUMENTS
Through the completion of the web application, supporting and additional documents will be received. The web application will be enabled from Saturday, April 6th until Thursday, April 25th, 2019.
For this purpose, each applicant will receive an email with the corresponding web link.
The Faculty of Engineering of the Universidad Nacional de Colombia is not responsible if the applicant cannot enter their data and documents satisfactorily through the web application, due to the demand of simultaneous users that exceed the capacity of the system. It is recommended to advance the process prior to the closing date.
The regulation of the admission process of the graduate programs of the Universidad Nacional de Colombia is found in Resolution 035 of 2014 of the Academic Office of the University. Specifically, the Faculty of Engineering details some aspects in Agreement 028 of 2016 of the Faculty Council. The weighting of its components is:
Minimum passing score
3.0 out 5.0
Criteria for resume evaluation
The evaluation of the applicant's resume will be based on the documentation submitted during the admission process (curriculum vitae and supporting documents). The following aspects will be taken into account for the assessment: undergraduate and postgraduate degrees and average grades, professional, teaching and research experience, as well as supported academic distinctions, publications and academic references.
TITLES: Technician 1 point; Technological 2 points; Undergraduate 11 points; Specialization 1 point; Master 2 points (cumulative). The degree certificate and the certificate of courses completition/pending degree
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE: 1 point per year of experience before or after obtaining the undergraduate degree(Teaching experience is considered as profesional)
RESEARCH EXPERIENCE: 1 point per year of experience before or after obtaining the undergraduate degree.
ACADENIC DISTINTIONS: Best Saber-pro results, scolarships, distinctions from organizations and associations, etc (1 point per each distinction).
- Lower than 3.4 : 2 points
- 3.4 - 3.59 : 4 points
- 3.6 - 3.79 : 6 points
- 3.8 - 4.39 : 7 points
- 4.4 - 5.0 : 8 points
PUBLICATIONS: Publications after obtaining the undergraduate degree(0.5 points for each oral presentation at events), (1 point for each indexed publication), (2 points per books)
REFERENCES: (2 points: Strongly Recommended; 1 point: Recommended, 0 pointss: Recommended with reservation/Not recommended).
Criteria for the evaluation of the preproposal
The objective of the preliminary research pre-proposal for the Ph.D. candidates in Engineering - Chemical Engineering is to identify their capacity to formulate research projects. The pre-proposal evaluates the criteria of quality, coherence, relevance, viability and impact.
Quality of the Proposal
Relevance of the project in the national context
Coherence with the research lines of the program
Vialibility of the project
Potential impact of the results
Criteria for interview evaluation
In the interview, applicants will be asked for different aspects to establish their interest for the program, as well as for the possibilities they have to conclude successfully the respective program.
Motivation and knowledge of the Program
Ability to work in research groups
PROFICIENCY IN FOREIGN LANGUAGE
Applicants for the PhD. Program in Engineering must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language (English). The proficiency test is eliminatory, as the applicant must demonstrate at least a B1 level of English, otherwise he/she will not be admitted.
When formalizing the registration via Internet (step 2), applicants will be asked if they want to approve the English proficiency test. They can choose among the following options:
- To be a graduate of an undergraduate curricular program of the Universidad Nacional de Colombia, as long as no more than two years have elapsed after graduation. The time is counted with respect to the start date of the registration process.
- Reach the level of proficiency required by the University through the test applied by the National Admissions Office
- Submit a foreign language certificate with a validity of less than two years. See Homologate Test of Profeficiency in English.. To present the certificate, you must deliver the original and current certificate, within the calendar established by the respective call during the registration period, to the National Admissions Office (Calle 44 No. 45-67, Block B3, Camilo Torres Unit, Bogotá DC, Monday to Friday, continuous day from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). You can also send a digital image of the original and current certificate to the email firstname.lastname@example.org. The date of the test must not exceed two years. The validity time of the certificate is counted with respect to the start date of the registration process.
Minimum Admission Score
The minimum admission grade, once weighted the admission test components, will be 3.0 out of 5.0.
*Admission depends not only on the score, but also of the number of places offered for each program.
Curricular Area: Chemical and Environmental Engineering
Telephone: 3165000 Ext. 14100 o 13649
Coordinator of the Program: Ivan Dario Gil Cháves
Secretary of the curricular area: Ana Rosa Salamanca Paternina
Adress: Carrera 30 # 45 - 03 Edificio: 453 - Oficina: 318
Curricular Area: Chemical and Environmental Engineering
Curricular Coordinator: Juan Carlos Serrato Bermúdez
Telephone: (+57) (1) 3165000 Ext. 13649
SELF-ASSESSMENT / ACCREDITATION
Beginning of Self-assessment:2010-02
Filling information:R-1140 de 14-08-2012
Resolution of accreditation:9813
Date of accreditation:2013-07-31
Beginning of accreditation:Eight (8) years